Our October Newsletter is published for your reading enjoyment:
St John Offers Amazing Views
Both Beneath and Above The Caribbean Sea
This Fabulous Photo is courtesy of Sail Pepper
The Virgin Islands is often called ‘Candy for the Eye’ and understandably so.
As the above picture illustrates, snorkeling around St John is full of colorful (and friendly) fish. Virtually every one of the 30+ beaches around St John offer great snorkeling opportunities and, if you want to get out on a boat, you are in for a extra treat since most every captain knows ‘hidden’ snorkel spots only accessible by (just their) boat. Great Expectations has arranged special discounts for our guests for some terrific sailing or power boat options.
There are wonderful views and colors above the waterline as well. A recent guest sent us this picture he took from Bordeaux Mountain of Coral Bay in the foreground and the British Virgin Islands in the distance:
As another former guest said, when she first saw this view, it struck her it was what she imagined Peter Pan’s Never Never Land looked like
October St John news flashes & fun St John clips:
- The St John community is wonderfully supportive as are the people who visit our island. If you are going to be on St John Sunday, November 2 head on over to Maho Bay to support the Friends of Virgin Islands National Park’s 2nd Annual ‘Paddle in the Park‘ Race. You can either participate yourself or root on others, either way it is sure to be a great day.
- It’s on! The 2nd Annual Rib Cook Off to benefit St. John Rescue is happening on Saturday, November 8 at the Coral Bay Ball Field. The event will kick off at 4:30 pm with 10 competitors for the honor of Best Ribs On St. John. Music, drinks, games and YES, THERE WILL BE RIBS! There might be no more important community volunteer organization than the St John Rescue folks. They literally save lives, often at the risk of their own. Show your support for them by eating ribs if you are going to be on-island (not a hardship!) or donate on-line.
- North Shore Deli opens
(in same spot as the very popular Deli Grotto) and reports as of this morning have been fabulous! Yes, they have the same yummy breads that made the Deli Grotto the ‘go to’ place. Check them out when you are next on St John — and, say hello DJ, the proud new owner.
- Seaborne Airlines adds United Airlines to its Partner list making getting to St Thomas/St John even easier. United joins Seaborne’s other partners — American, Delta, and Jet Blue.
- St John’s Trunk Bay claimed the #1 position on the Islands ‘Best Snorkeling Beaches in the Caribbean Islands‘ list saying in part “Trunk Bay’s beach stretches for more than a quarter-mile, with white powdered-coral sand backed by palms and sea grape trees. A spit divides the bay and points directly at Trunk Cay, a rugged little isle that’s a short swim from the beach. The entire bay is part of the Virgin Islands National Park and offers full facilities, including showers, a snack bar and a shop where you can rent snorkel gear, beach chairs and umbrellas.“
- Halloween will be kicked up a bunch this year with addition of the Mongoose Monster Ball. Virgin Fire and The Sun Dog Cafe will be co-hosting a blow-out party featuring great food, music, and lots of prizes so get your best, funniest, wildest costume on and go for the prize.
- New partner – Kids Night In! St John has a great relatively new resource (for both parents and kids alike!) in Kids Night In. Just as the title hints, this is a child care (much more than babysitting) service offered by Leslie McKibben, a physical therapist who has specialized in pediatrics for nearly 30 years. Leslie engages the kids with artwork, cooking (if parents allow), reading, and games of all sort. Kids have a blast and parents can enjoy a night on the town (it is your vacation after all).
- Winter 2015 is Completely Sold Out! Great Expectations is already totally reserved this coming winter season as well as much of the 2015 Spring and Summer season. We never want to disappoint previous guests — or potential new ones — so please contact us as soon as you can when you start your trip planning. Please check our availability calendar and contact us today to secure your reservation! We will be happy to work with you to, as best we can, accommodate your needs. Our goal, always, is to meet or ideally, exceed your expectations!