Enjoy our September newsletter…
Snorkeling Around St John is Worth the Trip
The beauty of St John often leaves people speechless.Our crystal clear waters are calm and pristine so that the snorkeling is phenomenal. Even for novice swimmers, because the entry at most of the beaches is so gradual, you can stand in knee deep water and watch the colorful fish and graceful turtles. With over 30 beaches,
there are almost endless options to explore the warm waters which surround this paradise island. Some of our favorite spots for seeing lot of fish and sea turtles are the beaches of Maho, Francis, and right in front of Great Expectations in Chocolate Hole harbor. Waterlemon Cay is the hands-down favorite spot to see huge colorful starfish scattered about just 3 or 4 feet below the surface of the water on the ocean floor.Check out some of these great resources for finding the best snorkeling spots:Books —St John Beach GuideSt John: Off the Beaten TrackSt John Feet, Fins, & Four-Wheel DriveWebsites and blogs about St John snorkeling —Snorkel St John
— great pictures and an identification gallery of different fish, coral. Tips for snorkelers.See St John
— blog about St John’s beaches, snorkeling spotsSt John Snorkeling
— lots of information about beaches, snorkeling tours, and snorkeling 101.Boat trips —
One of the best ways to spend a day around St John is to be on the water whether you rent your own boat or get a captain to escort you around. Here are some fun and popular options…Kekoa Sailing Expeditions
— is a 50′ Catamaran which is available for private charter or a day sail with others. This is one of St John’s most popular sailing vessels which is famous for spotting whales as well as wonderful snorkel spots.Sadie Sea
— is a popular 40′ Motor Trawler which can accommodate up to 35 people. Sadie Sea offers 1/2 or full day private or group.Kayaking
— St John offers wonderful opportunities to kayak around our shores and coral reefs.There are lots of great organizations
that offer snorkeling around St John.
September St John news flashes & fun St John clips:
- St John is #1 again! Caribbean Journal includes St John on their ‘Caribbean’s 10 Best Beaches for 2013‘ list.
- Recently, we have heard encouraging news that airfares are going down and lower this year than last! Recently, there have been several posts on Trip Advisor about great airfares for JetBlue’s Boston – St Thomas flights.
- Welcome to St John – Gallows Point Gift & Gourmet has a new owner. This couple are truly in love with St John (and, who could blame them) having gotten engaged and married on St John.
- Love St John and love birds? St John has some wonderful sanctuaries for wildlife and birds and now we will have a great opportunity to view them without being intrusive. St John will have a new bird viewing walkway in Frank Bay within walking distance to Cruz Bay which will be easily accessible for all to enjoy.
- Caneel and Rosewood Hotels & Resorts are parting ways this fall but, worry not, Caneel will still be Caneel. They anticipate no changes in local personnel other than those already announced such as the opening of Zozo’s Restaurant this fall in the space that has long been the Sugar Mill Restaurant.
- Found on the beach of Cruz Bay recently were three 7′ long cannons which by all accounts had been there for over 100 years! While no one knows for certain the origin of these cannons, it is thought that they were moved along with ammunition from Fortsberg in Coral Bay to Cruz Bay after the Coral Bay fort was decommissioned in 1765. Pretty cool.
- On-line registration for this year’s 8-Tuff Mile Race will start October 1. Registration is limited (and final) so if you are planning to walk or run the race this year (February 22, 2014) mark the date on your calendar and make sure you register early.
- Great Expectations has a few openings this winter. If winter time is your preference to be on St John, do not dilly-dally since our calendar is already filling up for this winter (and spring). Contact us today to secure your week on St John to make sure you have a place in the warmth
Kristin & Chuck